Saturday, July 23, 2011

MAKEBATHEARTIST

I go by the alias… or nom de plume (I like the way that sounds… and looks)“M.BODDi,” and I have a confession to make: I used to listen to Z100. WHAT??!!!!! I know, riiiiight… I’m ashamed to admit because I LOVE hip hop and I HATE [most] pop music. And get this, before Z100 all I listened to was Doo Wop because that’s what my grandmother listened to.
I wince when my little brother reminds me of my embarrassing past. He’ll be like, “you remember when you used to jump on the bed singing that song, ‘I’m Blue (da ba dee)’ or ‘Boom boom boom boom… I want you in my room?’” And I’d reply, “You did it too.” But apparently he’s excused because he was like 3 years old at the time or something… whatever.
https://www.facebook.com/makebatheartist

So, yes, I grew up in the boy-band/girl-group era… Nsync, The Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, the Spice Girls, etc. My taste in music hadn’t matured yet, just like me, it hadn’t even hit puberty.
I also grew up in the notorious “golden era” of Hip Hop. Aside from the Hip Hop sing-a-longs to “The Message” by Grandmaster Flash while walking home with my mother and oldest brother, my earliest and fondest memory of Golden Era Hip Hop was constantly hearing Jay-Z’s “Ain’t No Nigga” blasting from car stereos in the summer time. That coincides exactly with the memory of my mother giving birth to my youngest brother, even though he was born three years earlier. Don’t think too hard about that, I have a pretty shoddy memory and things don’t always align when I think back.
Anyway, my next Golden Era Hip Hop memory doesn’t happen again for another 4 years… after the Doo Wop and immediately after Z100. I think, after hearing this one classic song, I made the switch to Hot 97… “all day that’s my word!” (At least, that’s how I like to picture it.)


http://www.saatchionline.com/Mrainey




You see, I lived in the Bronx and was raised in Harlem, so not only was it hard to not hear this song, but it was also hard not to like it. This was THE anthem. You know what I’m talking about… “if it wasn’t for the Bronx, this rap shit probably never would be going on, so tell me where you from… UPTOWN BABY!”
That was the catalyst… Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz. And then came Puffy + Mase, Biggie, The Lox, DMX, Ja Rule, fucking Silkk the Shocker, So So Def, the original Destiny’s Child, Busta Rhymes, Trina, Lil Mo + Fabolous, Ludacris, Mystikal, and whatever else they played on the radio. I know… I caught on kind of late.
I made mixtapes by recording my favorite songs off the radio onto cassettes. I never store-bought cds… always bootlegs from 1-2-5th, and always the mixtapes with the most hardcore battle raps. Whaaaaaattt… rocafella vs. the Lox … Jay-Z + Nas… all of that!
And yet, my music taste still hadn’t fully matured. Hot 97 only played commercial rap. I think they always did the Throwback at Noon, which I still listen to till this day even though Mister Cee likes being reckless/disrespectful at the club and receiving fellatio from transvestites in the parking lot. To each his own, right?
Anyhow, one hour of sometimes classic sometimes trash hip hop did little to cultivate my musical growth; it did not nurture a growing girl’s need for a wider variety of good music; Hot 97 was just a weak supplement at best.
Okay, enough with the prepubescent analogies. Before the turn of the century, I took a break from rap, not by choice though… I spent a summer in St. Croix. I hated it. Nobody liked me. It was always hot and dusty. I had a large splinter lodged into the middle of my hand the whole time I was there.
To keep myself occupied when I didn’t go to summer camp, I searched for change in the couch cushions and walked to the laundry mat to buy Nestea from the vending machine; I tried to climb coconut trees; I watched Space Jam; and to keep from suffering from Hip Hop withdrawal, I’d sing “we true soldiers, we don’t die/ we keep rollin, na na na na na…” by Mystical or Master P or someone else from No Limit.
St. Croix wasn’t all bad. Alas, I was introduced to… DANCEHALL!! I’m not talking Shaggy, “It Wasn’t Me.” The song of the summer was “Everyone Falls in Love Sometime,” which I am positive I already heard two years before, but that song came alive in St. Croix. I mean, this isthe music that they listen to. Reggae and dancehall is specific to people of West Indian decent. I must have thought I was Caribbean too because I subconsciously picked up the accent and started heel-toeing to all the reggae songs.
* * * * * * *
I’ll admit, I credit most of my good music choices to my older brother. He put me on to all of the best songs on Jay-Z’s Blueprint album. And when he hopped off the Jay-Z bandwagon just as everyone else was jumping on, he gave me Big L. He was convinced Beanie Sigel and Freeway were the best battle rappers out. Looking back, who would have thought the Lox would consistently produce superior albums till this day (goes to show that everything Jay-Z touches does not turn to gold). He even lent me Fabolous’s debut album.
But I had to discover other music on my own accord. He wasn’t really a fan of Wu-Tang and Mobb Deep other than their hit singles. As a result, I didn’t get into Mobb Deep until “Amerika’s Nightmare.” I know most of the words to every song on that album. If I ever become a rapper, I’d call myself “Shorty Wop Wop” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K4jYFo3Rtg ).
My brother also didn’t listen to any underground rap that didn’t come out of New York. I’m talking about the “dirty backpackers,” as my cousin likes to call them; any rapper that can make it on the Rock the Bells lineup. No Talib Kweli, no Common Sense, no De La Soul, no Mos Def, and definitely not The Roots.
So, up until 8th grade, all I listened to was NY Hip Hop, commercial rap, and the occasional dancehall record.
And then came High School. When I think of the music I listened to in High School; in that small, secluded bubble of a boarding school, I think of the very first 50 Cent record to play on all of the major radio stations. I think of T.I., DTP’s “Fighting in the Club”, Slim Thug, Mike Jones (who?), Dizzee Rascal, The first  Jay-Z and Nas interview on BET after the beef, Missy Elliot, Ciara, Talib Kweli’s “Quality”, The Roots’ “Do You Want More??!!?!!!”, Nina Simone’s “Feelin Good”, John Coltrane, Nas’ “Second Childhood”, Cassidy’s “Split Personality”, Dr. Dre’s “The Chronic”, John Legend’s “Ordinary People”, Kanye West and Twista joining Rocafella and the subsequent “We are the Champions”, Mannie Fresh, DIPSET!!! (all day!), R.Kelly and Jay-Z, De La Soul’s “The Grind Date”, 8Ball and MJG’s “Living Legends”, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, the Crooklyn soundtrack, The Pharcyde, Mos Def’s “The New Danger”, Royce Da 5’9”’s “Death is Certain”, Joe Budden’s “Focus Man”, Dave Chapelle, Damian Marley’s “Welcome to Jamrock”, Blezzed Dez, Common and Lauryn Hill, Blackilicious’ “Feel that Way”, Gil Scott Heron’s “Is it Jazz” (R.I.P.), Tribe’s “Sucka Nigga”, Big L and Jay-Z’s 7 minute freestyle, “You ain’t My Daddy”, Guerilla Black, and The Delfonics (of course!!!!).

This is just a sneak peak into my life chronicled through music, one of the three topics that complete me entirely along with movies and fashion. You will be hearing from me soon.
-M.BODDi 

check out and support the art!!

http://4yournformation.wordpress.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment